Monday, May 4, 2009

Western Digital Corp - warranty and repair service

WDC - Warranty & RMA Services - End User Customers.

I have made a choice when I purchase hard drives to favor Western Digital over Seagate. The main reason for this is that I have had excellent service from Western Digital and I have had few failures, and those that I have were largely due to an error on my part (dropped or shaking a drive when it was active),
these drives when in warranty were replaced by WDC with minimum hassle.

This is in part one of the reasons that I have a rebuild rather than a "recover" strategy when it comes to hard drives and the back-up and recovery of data and the restoration of computer systems. I originanly had a stratergy of making an image backup of a newly configured and cleaned system. I now favour the
complete rebuild of a system from scratch. This is due to a number of factors, the ease in which replacement WDC drives are obtained, the fact that I can re-install operating systems at will (by-passing Windows activation etc) and also that drivers are usually easy to locate on the Internet. There have been a few exceptions to the driver problem, but again, nothing that I have not been able to overcome.

In fact, the only HDD failure the involved a WDC drive was with an Acer AO722 that lastest of less than a month from purchase. The unit was an "open box" so I do not know whether the unit had been previously dropped by its original owner. I suspect that it may have been.

Links:

1 comment:

Robertson, South Africa said...

Possibly interested in Hanlan`s Point Beach