Friday, April 6, 2012

1st impressions of Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot)

Having re-configured my server and media machines I allowed the webserver backup machine to update to version 11.10

At first glance the new Unity GUI was a bit of a shock.

Take the tour (of the current version of Ubuntu)

Having run Ubuntu and other distributions of Linux for a number of years now, I have fair amount of experience to make a comparison between Ubuntu, Windows and OSX. So far the rhetoric I have seen so far, and I haven't been looking for long, it seems to be the "same old same old". The discussion on whether Linux or OSX are better than Windows is pointless in my opinion.

The main advantage of not using Windows as I see it is that they are both still minority o/s and as such, smaller targets.

My interest in the re-configuration of the Linux box was to setup Samba Shares for use in a media server. This is part of a "proof of concept" for the Raspberry Pi Media server.