Thursday, April 19, 2012

NetworkClean

An interesting development. I have been saying for sometime that there was going to be a backlash from users that are concerned about their on-line reputation.

I just received an email from NetworkClean, SAVING FACE ON FACEBOOK.


The concerns that I have with this is that, while I know I have a clean profile on Facebook, I would be a little concerned about letting a piece of software from a company that I had never heard of having access to my Facebook account.

Yahoo! and the probable use of the Open Graph Protocol:

This is similar to the Yahoo! is a Facebook API molester article by Jason Perlow, ZDNet, !8 April 2012:

Jason reports:
Once you’ve authorized Yahoo that first time, all future reads of articles on their web sites are also posted to your profile, whether you like it or not. The only way to stop it is to remove the app authorization in your Facebook privacy settings. Which I promptly did after one of my friends alerted me as to what was going on.

Giving permission to an organization even less well known than Yahoo seems a little foolhardy to say the least. NetworkClean maybe more ethical than the Yahoos and Googles of this world but they are new kids on the block and have yet to show their colours.

Hopefully they will provide a service that Facebook users can use to control what it in their on-line persona's. I would say that it is too early to say and in any case I do not have anything on Facebook that I would not want any of my friends to see.

The subject of where this "sharing" is going has been a concern to me for a while. It also seem that I was not alone:
How Facebook is ruining sharing Molly Wood CNet, November 18, 2011

No comments: