Monday, May 28, 2012

How to recover lost disk space used by RRBACKUPS

In March 2010 - the time had come! - the post that quoted me and my website, www.tempusfugit.ca, on TechReport has ceased to be relevant.

The page that WAS ON MY WEBSITE and now linked from there has been changed radically. This a New page  and is completely difference to one referenced on the TechReport blog.

As you can see the original question was posed in Dec 2007
While I have downloaded and used the utilities that were originally available from IBM and more recently Lenovo, I am not sure where I have kept them. In addition to the fact they they are totally useless there are much better ways of configuring and maintaining your computer.

You are far better off abandoning what came with your Lenovo computer on its hard drive and installing a clean copy of Windows 7. Even if your computer came with XP, Windows 7 is a far better solution for you. I have successfully installed Windows 7 on old Thinkpads and IBM desktops that were originally XP and with specs that (according to Microsoft) are far too low.

The procedure described in the link above represents a philosophy change for me in that it has been determined that a new computer is best configured with a "clean copy" of an operating system and all OEM/Manufacturer nonsense and customization be abandoned. A rebuild and recovery is therefore quick and easy, without having to use the lengthy restore and recovery programs  supplied by the manufacturer - this includes Lenovo, Acer, Asus, HP, Dell and more.

1 comment:

Vermilion River, Alberta said...

I need to obtain a copy of the IBM/Lenovo utility RRUTILS.exe

Is there anyone out there that has a copy that I can download?