Saturday, April 1, 2017

Websites built using Wordpress

As I was saying on my website, I am not a fan of Wordpress.

I downloaded Wordpress on my Canadian hosting service to test out what I could do with it. It didn't take long before I abandoned it due to the amount of blogspam that the comment and contact features were attracting. I could have turned the commenting function off, as many do, but this then only gave me the same functionality as what I was doing manually creating HTML pages. I was hoping that Wordpress would offer a solution to handling the "Social" aspect of my website.

The use of templates of the design of others also influenced my decision as the time used to customise the look and feel was similar to designing from scratch.

The hacking of Wordpress is well documented and is a prime target for SQL Injection attacks, the Wordpress engine runs on a MySQL database after all. I have also experimented with these databases, as I have such technologies in my past career, I also gave this up as I found that I didn't have a use for it. Similar to many of the technologies that I have featured on my websites my pursuit was of an academic nature. The MySQL experiments involved the installation of phpMyAdmin. This brings me to another decision that the use of PHP was also something that I was not interested in continuing with.

No comments: